Sunday, June 19, 2011

Georgia and Gunny

In the past few weeks, we've received some big news. Billy got PCS orders or permanent change of station orders and we are headed to Albany, Georgia. Sadly or ecstatically we have to leave 29 Palms. Definitely not going to miss the isolation and the driving so much and so long to get anywhere. However, I will miss the clean air and blue skies, Joshua Tree Park, and the good friends I've made here.

I am torn about moving to Georgia. Not because it's going to be too isolated like 29 Palms, but because all the reviews I've read about the place haven't been too positive. I'm excited to go to the east coast and to see all the history that is around there. I can't wait to visit the museums and travel to the Gulf Coast and bask in the sun. Most importantly, it's a whole three years of nondeployment!

My biggest worry is the school system there. David will be starting school and the education isn't quite up to par according to all the reviews. Then there's the whole segregation issue that still exists in parts of the city. Oh, and did I mention alligators? One guy was telling us that the last time he was there, there were alligators living in one of the lakes on base! Definitely not letting David anywhere near lakes or swamps.

So, when does the move occur? Well, originally, it was scheduled for November/December time frame, but a week ago, I discovered that we will be moving in the July/August time frame. As the marines are fond of saying, "Simper gumby (always flexible)!" If I had a dime for every time I've heard that, I'd be rich!

As to the gunny news, I'm proud to announce that Billy was selected for Gunnery Sergeant. He will be officially promoted between July and September. Congrats, babe! I'm so proud of you!

Now, I hope the move to Georgia doesn't deter loved ones from visiting. It's a great time to come visit. We can meet at, oh I don't know...Myrtle Beach, South Carolina or the Gulf Coast in Florida.

6 comments:

The Lilly's said...

Wow, that's a huge change! What a blessing that he won't be deployed for so long. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Marsha said...

This IS big news. How crazy is it that you are leaving so soon and to the South! At least you know the peaches will be tasty.

As for the school system, if you are worried, one thing you could try, is volunteering in his classroom now and then. That way, you will know what he is learning and can reinforce it at home.

Congratulations to Billy, both on being promoted and on his three years non-deployment.

Rachel said...

Holy freaking wow. I'm torn between happy for you that you're leaving 29 Palms and sad for me that now you're going even further away. I suppose now you'll be my catalyst to take a vacation to the east coast. BUT I'm so, SO glad to hear about a) 3 years no deployment (YIPPEE!!) and b) Billy's promotion!! That. Is. Fantastic. Congrats to all y'all! (You gotta learn to speak southern now.)

The Waldron Family said...

What leaving...as if 29 palms wasn't far enough. I am happy for you that you will have Billy home though. So are you coming here so we can celebrate and say goodbye?

Jer + Lu said...

Wow! What a big change! Sounds like it could be a great opportunity. Good luck!!

Laura said...

Wow - that's a big change! For what it's worth, my parents lived in Georgia (I forget what city, but near-ish the coast) when my dad was in the Air Force, and it was my mom's favorite place to live ever. Also, if you make it up to Boston, you totally have a place to stay and a personal tour guide. :-)