Saturday, April 23, 2011

Joshua Tree

David and I recently went up to Joshua Tree National Forest to check out the spring blossoms. What a beautiful day it was! I looked on the map of the park and discovered a little one mile loop to Barker Dam.

David posing by the pretty, red cactus blossoms.

My little sweaty boy, with the sun beating down on him.

More pretty flowers.

JT landscape. I am absolutely in love with the blue skies!

Manna for the eyes, in this dry, parched desert I call home.

And there were ducks! Which is what David is kindly pointing out.

Petroglyphs

A little history on Barker Dam. It was built by farmers/ranchers here in San Bernardino Valley for their cattle. Off of the dam was an intricately designed trough, made from clay, that was still intact. Anyway, as David and I climbed and meandered our way to see the dam, I was picturing a dried up, used-to-be dam. Instead, as we rounded the corner, my eyes popped! There in front of us was water and all in one spot! It was so beautiful, I almost wept! Going from the many dams, lakes, and rivers in Utah to the nonexistent lakes here in Twentynine Palms has made me realize how much I took for granted. Seeing this beautiful sight was so refreshing!

The petroglyphs were an interesting side note on the trail. Possibly drawn by the Chemehuevi (love saying that name) Indians, some had been sadly vandalized (probably drunk marines) with paint.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

Lolinda,

That place looks so beautiful. I would probably want to spend every day, sitting on a rock, with my bare feet in the water.

Rachel said...

Wow, I was just as shocked to see WATER! It's so beautiful. I can see why you love going there. My brother and his buddies camped in JT several years ago but he said it wasn't very impressive. Clearly he did not go to the right area.